Tuesday, March 22, 2011

fragile as leaves in fall

I've been scanning pictures from my family photo album, and I find myself charmed by the actual photos themselves - the faded borders, folded corners, even the yellowed glue on the back. With everything now digitized, we're losing the presence that actual photographs have - instead of being objects to hold, they're now only images to observe. What can be done?

Luckily, I came across these fabric brooches and necklaces via Poppytalk and was instantly smitten. And you can see why! Created by jewelry designer and stylist Miranda van Dijk at Puur Anders in the Netherlands, these leaves are created by imprinting digitized images on unbleached cotton. Their tactile, faded quality is part of their charm - they remind me of sentimental flowers pressed in old book. Fragile yet precious.
Although these pieces are part of a collection called "Hidden Memories", Miranda is also taking custom orders. These would make a thoughtful gift, especially for Mother's Day!

11 comments:

Mike said...

These are fantastic!

Pistachio said...

Wow, those are very cool!!

Puur Anders said...

Thank you, Shirley.
Miranda

Sister Shirley said...

Thanks Miranda! I am sending my pic to be transformed into one of these lovely leafs soon. It will be hard to decide!

Glenn CoCo said...

Love the photos.

R R said...

Those are lovely!

South Bay Studio said...

What a wonderful idea. They are simply beautiful...Kathi

Mary Lindsay said...

This is SOooo lovely

Anonymous said...

these are very nice but what does the back of them look like?

kraftyiam said...

I've been inspired to finally do something with the printer fabric I've been hoarding forever - this is stunning

online erectile dysfunction prescription said...

Pretty section of content. I just stumbled upon your web site and in accession capital to assert that I acquire in fact enjoyed account your blog posts. Anyway I'll be subscribing to your feeds and even I achievement you access consistently quickly.